Las Luciérnagas Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the age groups that you serve? 2 - 5 years old.
- What days are you open? Monday - Friday.
- For how many days can I enroll my child? We have 2-5 day options.
- What is your daily schedule? 9am-12pm or 9am-1pm (if staying for lunch).
- Do you offer full day programing? No - we are a half-day program.
- Do you provide snack? Yes - we provide a healthy snack daily. We accommodate all food allergies.
- Do you provide lunch? No - families provide lunch from home for children staying for lunch.
- Does my child have to be potty trained? No - we meet families where they are at in the process.
- What is your ratio? We have a 4:1 ratio, with 3 teachers (Head Teacher, Assistant Teacher, and Teacher’s Aide).
- What is the maximum daily enrollment? Our maximum daily enrollment is 12 children per day. For the current 2016-17 school year, we are enrolling up to 11 children per day.
- What’s the school year calendar? We observe the SFUSD calendar August-May, with an extended month in June.
- What neighborhood are you located on? Mission district.
- How do you incorporate Spanish into the program? (How much spanish do you speak to the children?) Our goal is to speak spanish to the children for majority of the time. However, we want children at Las Luciernagas to feel safe and comfortable and part of this is by building a relationship of care and trust. We will start off by speaking to the child in the language they are most comfortable with (whether it is English or Spanish), then gradually as we build that trust and familiarity with another language, we incorporate more Spanish into our day. Both the Head Teacher and Assistant Teacher are Native Spanish speakers and one will speak spanish only, while the other teacher shifts to english for better support.
- How much movement do you incorporate into your daily schedule? Children have many opportunities to learn, grow and express themselves through movement in our indoor gross motor studio. On average children spend 45 minutes - 1+ hours in the gym. We incorporate 5-15 minutes of structured activities during gym time, to support children with their body and space awareness.
- Do you have an outdoor space? Yes - we set-up the space daily and use our outdoor patio.
- Do you take the children off-site? Yes - we may have a neighborhood walk, or go to the park up the street (Franklin Square Park).
- Are there any fieldtrips? Yes - we have 4 field-trips scheduled between the months of October - April, and in the month of June we take a weekly field-trip.
- What is the family-parent involvement? Throughout the year we have various opportunities for parents/families to be involved in our special events/activities. We encourage families to share special holidays (specific to their culture) that they’d like to celebrate with us. Families are also welcome to join us for their child’s birthday and celebrate at lunch-time that special day. We also have pot-luck feasts throughout the year, where children and their families get together and celebrate. We encourage families to join us for fieldtrips as well.
- What is the enrollment process? Attend one Open House plus 4 movement classes, and fill out online application form ($50 fee).
- When can I begin enrollment for my child? If the program is not at capacity, we have rolling admissions. Families may apply at any time, check for space availability. For the coming school year, we will give priority re-enrollment to current families during the month of March, and then review new applications. Enrollment offers for new families will be confirmed starting in mate March.
- Why do we have to attend classes before enrolling? For the child & family to get to know the space and staff in order to feel safe and confident when they start school.
- If we have not yet attended the 4 required classes, can we still enroll? You can apply at any time and we will work with you to determine what dates you are available to attend movement classes in order to schedule a start date as soon as you have completed the classes.
- If there is a wait-list, how will I know about moving up in the wait-list? At the moment there is no waitlist but once we have filled all spaces, we will start a wait-list and notify you once you have moved up.
- Is there a registration fee? Yes - $35 registration/insurance fee, due Annually.
- Is there an application fee? (What is the application fee?) Yes - $50, a one time fee to apply for space in Las Luciernagas program.
- How much is monthly tuition? Depends on how many days per week attending.
- Do you offer tuition assistance? Families who qualify for Children’s Council Vouchers should apply through Children’s Council. Additionally, we have very limited tuition assistance opportunities for families who fit income requirements. Please inquire in person.